How To Become A Computer Maintenance Technician
Computer maintenance technicians are responsible for installing computer systems and related components (printers, scanners, etc.) operating on a network and maintaining the systems by ensuring that they run efficiently and reliably. Computer maintenance duties are usually called computer service technicians in Canada.
With the current growth in the technology industry, computer maintenance technicians are in very high demand. The Information and Communications Technology Council predicts that due to the vast labour shortage, Canada will need to hire over 100,000 Information and Communications technology specialists.
Your Day-to-Day Tasks will include:
- Installing, maintaining and upgrading computer systems
- Running tests and diagnostics to ensure systems are functioning correctly
- Performing repairs as needed to maintain function of computer systems
- Adding printers, software, scanners, and other hardware to computers
- Removing and replacing CPUs, motherboards, and memory
What Do I need to Start with?
A minimum of Grade 12 diploma or mature student status is usually required to enter a computer science program. Some high schools offer the opportunity to take related courses during secondary education.
What Else Do I Need?
You should be willing to travel, even though this trade allows you the ability to work almost anywhere.
Where The Jobs Are?
There are opportunities for computer maintenance technicians in departments of large corporations, with computer manufacturers, or computer retailers such as electronic stores.
Leave a Reply