How to Become a Paramedic
If you’re looking for an exciting and rewarding career, becoming a paramedic is a great choice. Now is the time to get trained, as the demand for EMTs and paramedics is expected to grow by 33 per cent between 2010 and 2020.
Your Day-to-Day Tasks Will Include:
- Assessing the extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims and patients
- Administering pre-hospital emergency care to patients
- Establishing and maintaining intravenous treatment (IV)
- Apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications
- Administering medications and providing other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Documenting and recording the nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assisting hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
What Else Do I Need?
Each province has a regulatory board you will need to be certified by. Also, to drive the ambulance you might need a different class of licence.
Where the Jobs Are
You can find work as a paramedic nearly anywhere in Canada, especially with the expected job growth. Your education can also help you land roles such as ambulance attendant, critical care paramedic, emergency medical attendant (EMA), or emergency medical technician (EMT).
Leave a Reply